Thursday, January 15, 2015

Today was the day

I finally had my infusion of Tysabri (tie SA bree) today.  I was a little apprehensive but I usually am when it comes to something new.  I can do research all I want, know how any procedure will go, but actually having something done is scary.  I just want this drug to work for me.  If I can't tolerate it, I do not have many other options to go too.  I am going to take it one day at a time and hope it all goes well.

Tysabri is a powerful drug to help slow down the progression of disability.  It is not a cure.  This drug comes with several side effects as most drugs do but there are a couple of serious ones.

Tysabri may increase my risk of getting an infection of the brain or the covering of my brain and spinal cord caused by herpes viruses that may lead to death or severe disability.  This is called Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy (PML).  The chance of getting  PML increases if I have been exposed to the John Cunningham Virus (JCV).   Typically, people with JCV are exposed to it during childhood and is harmless but it can cause PML.  A blood test was done to determine if  I was carring the antibodies to JCV.  I tested NEGATIVE, which lowers my risk compared to someone who is positive but there is still a chance of getting PML, which is something the doctors have to say to cover themselves.  Getting PML is very rare.  This drug has been on the market for several years now.

Tysabri could cause liver damage and it will lower my immune system.

Now, I am sure this all sounds very scary.  I was scared about this drug when it first came on the market and said "No Way was I ever going to use this drug". I guess I had a change of opinion because now I have gotten a little worse and I want things to slow down.  This drug is not like a steroid.  When I had the infusion of steroids, it was to stop a relapse.  I do not have relapses but continue with the same symptoms but they can progress.  I will never go back to what I once was.  I deal with that on a daily basis.  Actually, we both deal with this every day.

If anyone have questions or concerns, talk with me.  You can go to www.tysabri.com for further information or just put in Tysabri and it will pull up a lot of web sites to go too.

No comments: