Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Sad Day

It is a sad day today. We had to put Chester down. It was very hard to make this decision. We talked and talked but we felt it was the right thing to do. He was 15 years old or 74 years in human years. Chester was having problems with his kidneys but that was not the main problem at this time. He lost weight and was dehydrated. The vet was not sure what was going on and wanted to do all kinds of tests and x-rays to see if she could figure it out. One proposal of cost was near $600 just to find out what might be wrong. There was no guarantee they would know for sure. We were being told it could be cancer, or a digestive disease, or who knows what else. He was supposed to have ulcers in his stomach area and dental disease. He was sleeping most of the day and not active.

Dad took him to the vet, this afternoon, for the appointment. I stayed at home. I just couldn't do it again after Cali. It was hard for Dad too.

Chester lead a good life and was a good cat, ornery at times, but a good cat. He was also a big cat weighing as much as 17 pounds. We will miss him but we know he won't have to go through any pain now.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

So very sad!! I will miss my big man so very much. He was such a good cat and saw me through a lot. I'm glad he won't have to suffer but my heart aches that he is no longer with us. Love you!

Abby said...

I am so sorry to hear about Chester!