Sunday, May 31, 2015

Update on the Lumbar Puncture (spinal tap)

The procedure took place about a week ago Thursday.  It was done a different way and that was having me in a sitting position on the table bending over vs laying down with my knees up exposing my back.

I have endured this procedure on a couple of other occasions in the beginning of my MS.  I knew what was happening.  FOR THOSE THAT MAY BE UNEASY LEARNING ABOUT THE PROCEDURE, PLEASE SKIP THIS NEXT SECTION.  IT IS NOT GORY OR ANYTHING BUT I DO UNDERSTAND THOSE THAT DO NOT LIKE READING OR WATCHING ANYTHING USING A NEEDLE.


I was by myself in the room with the doctor and his nurse.  Sam could not be in the same room with me during this procedure.  I knew this so I was not concerned.  As a side note, he does not like watching doctor shows of any kind; real or fake.

As I had mentioned, the doctor had me in a sitting position, gave me a pillow to lean over and a chair for my feet.  He raised the table up and he began.  The doctor washed the area, put on a protection mat to just have the area in site (it is like what you would see in a doctor show where they are pinpointing the one area to cut and they put a pad down with just the one area exposed).  This stuck to my back.  He figured out where to insert the needle in my spine by using his hands and marked the area.  He then numbed the area so I would not feel anything further. The numbing was like you might have at a dentist; you feel no pain.

The doctor had difficulty inserting the actual spinal needle, where one would normally insert which was between the 4th and 5th vertebra.  He hit bone and not between them, upon his first try.  Apparently, I have a mild curve to my lower back which caused this problem.  The doctor moved to the 3rd and 4th vertebra and was successful.  He took several vials of fluid for the testing.  He sent off two to a lab and kept two-three others for testing at the hospital.

Once he was finished and a band-aid  was in place where the needle was, I had to lay on my back for 30 minutes.  I was told to go home and rest the rest of the day and drink fluids, water in particular.  Before I could leave though they needed a blood test so I was wheeled down to the lab.  ( I was not allowed to walk anywhere but had to use a wheelchair.)  Sam left before I found out about the lab test, to bring the car around to the front of the hospital.  I was worried for several reasons while I was waiting for the test.  One, Sam was now waiting in front and having to stay with the car and not knowing what was taking so long.  Two, he might try to come in and go up to the floor I was on originally on, looking for me, not finding me, and trying to figure out where I went.  If he came to the waiting area for the lab, I would be inside the room and he would still be looking.  I know--such a drama I had in my mind.

It did not take too long to get the blood test and I was on my way out to be picked up.  I could not see the car at first and I was offered a phone to call him but Sam does not answer his phone.  Nor does he have a voice mail box set up.  (I need to take of that problem).  Anyway, I had the nurse take me outside and he was there waiting, along with a number of other cars.

We were on my way home.  I did take it easy the rest of the day and felt OK.  One problem that can occur with a spinal tap is a headache.  Usually it occurs the same day but I found out later it can happen up to 5 days after the procedure.  I was told I could do anything the next day if I felt OK.  So I did my usual stuff... WRONG.  I had a headache for 4 days.  I could not understand why but I could not cough without getting a sharp pain, going to the bathroom, or anything that required any exertion with my body.  I was miserable.  I tried taking 4 Advil at a time or 1 Imitrex and 2 Advil.  Either one worked for a short time but then it would return.  I was OK during the night but I think it was because I was laying down.

I drank fluids such as water and tea but it did not help.  I finally contacted the doctor and was told I was experiencing a low pressure headache because of the reduced spinal fluid.  I was told to drink anything caffeinated such as coffee, or highly concentrated caffeine drinks.  If they did not work, use NO DOZ, which is caffeine in a tablet.  If this still did not work, I was told a blood patch might have to be used to bring the fluid up.  Thank goodness the caffein drinks worked!  Once I started drinking them, I felt so much better.  Caffeine apparently helps your spinal level.  Who knew?

Results are not back yet.  I was told 4 weeks before anything is known.  It takes this long!  So I wait.  I will keep you posted.






No comments: