Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year 2012

Wow, the holidays are over and we are back to doing our regular stuff.  I hope it was fun for everyone.  I was busy, which was a good thing but before you knew it, everything was over.  You put all the holiday things back away and wait for another year to pass.  It is sad in a way to lose all the cheer and happiness that people will have at that time of year.  The holiday can be expensive if you let it and not restrain from getting everything someone wants.  I know that can be hard to do.  You want to make sure that the holiday is special.

I had a great holiday for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My daughter (with her family) made her first Turkey from start to finish with all the extras.  She did a great job.  I saw my oldest son and family after they made the long move to Denver from West Virginia.  They even had purchased a new home to get everyone settled.  It was making things a little easier  for them knowing they now had a place to call home once again.

Christmas I spent with my other son and his family in Maryland.  It was different for me because we were not splitting time between houses as we once did.  We had a great time and it was very relaxed.

Now, I am working on my next project which will be a big change in our lives.  Retirement and moving back across the United States, going from California to South Carolina.  The process has begun.  Movers have been contacted to get their bids, transport companies have been contacted to move my car, sorting through everything to rid us of stuff we really don't need but have been hanging onto.

Disagreements are happening as to what big stuff we should move or not.  The house in South Carolina has been set up with pretty much everything you would need to live there.  It is those other things that you want that need to be included now.

I am not sure I am ready for all the changes that will be taking place.  It is scary and exciting at the same time.  We have made many, many moves and it hasn't been because of the military.  It was due to going for/to a new job and moving up the corporate ladder.  This also caused our kids to have to move away from friends they had made and schools they may have liked.  It was a choice we had to make as we had a growing family and needed the security of a future.

I am scared of the new place, not of the house, but learning a new area.  Because of my MS, it takes so much longer for me to process things and to feel comfortable.  I do have a GPS which will get me around and I do rely on it quite a bit.  I won't feel so frighten and be in tears when I am lost and can't find my way home.  That feeling I do not want to feel anymore.

I know in my heart that this next chapter in our life will be a wonderful one.  We will have the chance to do things when we want to do them.  We will not have the restraints of a job and only having a couple of weeks to vacation.  We do plan to travel and see the country.  We will also take cruises.  We have worked hard to this point and we deserve the benefits.

No comments: