Friday, September 2, 2011

Injury again

I went to the doctor's on Thursday because I had been having swelling with my left foot.  This is the foot that I had bunion surgery on.  I had put ice on it, took Advil for the pain, put it up, and nothing worked.  A week went past and I thought I should have it checked out.  I thought maybe there was a problem from the surgery that popped up.  That was my first thought anyway.

I called twice trying to talk to the nurse and did not get a reply.  I was thinking that nothing must be wrong as no one was thinking it was a problem.  How wrong was I!  Yesterday I received a phone call from my doctor's nurse saying he wanted to see me and could I come at 11:00.  Sure, I said.

I had a conference call at 10:00 which lasted until about 10:50.  I thought I was going to stop the call so I could get the appointment.  It ended in time for me to leave.  It was also a good thing that the doctor is pretty much around the corner; I got there right on time.  Signed in and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  I didn't get into an exam room for an hour and 20 minutes later.  I was brought to an exam room and waited another half hour.  The office had many new patients so they took longer with their appointments.  I couldn't be upset by that as I would want the same care too.

When my doctor finally came into the room, he only had to take one look at my foot and knew the problem.  He pressed on my foot around the toes and asked if this hurt.  I just remembered that cartoon where someone goes to the doctor and says, Hey doc, it hurts when I do this and the Doc replies, don't do that.  Well, that is what I wanted to say to the doctor.  Yes it hurts!  Don't do that!  He told me I had a stress fracture.  He would take X-Rays but it probably would not show up.  The doctor told me it was probably due to the way I was walking.  Ever since the surgery, I would try to avoid putting a lot of pressure on the right side of the foot.  Because I had done that instead of walking normally, it was pulling on those tendons which caused the stress fracture.  He also told me that had I continued to walk on it, the stress fracture would have become a complete fracture.

The treatment:  I have to go back into my boot for 2 maybe 3 weeks and then if it feels OK, try to go back into the regular shoe.  I see him again September 30 to have the foot re-Xrayed.  I don't know what will happen if it isn't healed!  If I have to continue with the boot, then I guess I will continue with the boot.

We will be flying to our house in South Carolina starting on October 1 for two weeks.  It won't stop the flight, just maybe activities.

Here, I thought I was finally over everything.  I guess I thought wrong...  

No comments: