Friday, July 29, 2011

A steroid again!

     I had been dealing with shingles for almost a month now.  The majority of the pain and rash disappeared but I still have a few spots on my foot.  They don't hurt and they are not causing a problem.  The one lingering problem has been the numbness from the bottom of my foot to the top of my waist.  I had called my neurologist and was given prednisone to try to correct that problem.  It didn't!

     I still have the numbness on my right but now it has moved to my left foot.  Umm, I don't think it should be going this way so I called my neurologist again.  I explained the problem and he told me that the shingles might have triggered my MS.  He suggested that I have two infusions of Solumedrol, which is an IV steroid.  This steroid has the ability to keep me awake all night.  After I finish the infusions, I then start another round of prednisone.

    There is a possibility that this steroid treatment could trigger the shingles again!  I am trying to get rid of a problem and yet I could be back to where I was before.  Gee, I hope not.

     I have finally been set free from the podiatrist and the foot surgery I had.  The left foot is still a little swollen but that will come down over time.  He did say that I seemed to be walking on the side of my foot away from the surgery site and I needed to make an effort to walk straight and put more effort on walking completely through.

     I am so tired of having all these problems.  I have not been able to do much or go anywhere where there has been a lot of walking.  Now, this problem with the flare up of my MS.  I really hope this will be the end.  I am not planning on doing anything else, especially another surgery, for quite some time.  I just need things on my body to heal and stay that way!

No comments: