Wednesday, May 9, 2007

New Positions

Norma Rickard, who was the leader of my support group, passed away on May 2. This was very unexpected and a shock to all of us. She was 64 years old. It was quite a shock upon opening my emails after the trip to read about her passing. During the meeting today, the other leader, Jack, stated that a co-leader needed to be found. I was asked to serve as the other support group leader. Even though it was a sad time, it was one that we needed to move on from. I was nominated, voted on, and was unanimously elected.

My other bit of news is that I am also on a committee for the State of California Emergency Prepardedness. The committee I am on deals with mitigation. This happens after a disaster. For example, if a house is destroyed by a flood from a river, then when it is rebuilt the options would be to either move it back away from the river or put the house on stilts. Because I represent the disabled community, I would suggest not doing the building of a house on stilts for access purposes but another suggestion. This is just a quick example given to me. I will find out more when I get involved with it.

My first meeting will be a group meeting to teach everyone what the Emergency Prepardedness Agency does, how it operates, and what the different committes do. It will take place some time in June. I am also not sure of the location or how many meetings it would entail but it does sound interesting.

I am excited about the new positions but I then start to wonder if I took on too much. Time will tell.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new positions. It sounds pretty interesting. I can't wait to hear about the interesting meetings you will attend. Maybe you will get to meet the "Governator".

Unknown said...

BTW,

Moose = Jon

:-)

Jenn said...

Congrats on the positions! I am sure you will do a wonderful job!

Oh and I am glad Jon clarified who "moose" was ... I was going to ask you about that, haha