Tuesday, March 10, 2015

New Medication

I have started a new medication.  This one is in addition with all the others I take.  It is called Aricept or by Donepezil (generic).  This is a medication given to people with Alzheimer's or for those people with mild to moderate memory problems.  This is a problem I am dealing with now and have been for awhile.  Until this was confirmed that I indeed had this problem, it caused a lot of hurt feelings and exasperation.  Short term memory has been difficult, especially introductions to new people or even persons I have been around and still can't remember their name when I see them again.  Or if I am in a meeting and trying to remember what was said.  I can take notes but the shorthand usual does not relate to the anything.  It is hard to fill in the blanks.

I am not saying I can't remember anyone.  This isn't the case.  I just have difficulty remembering new things and sometimes things from the past.  It is so frustrating for me and I do get upset about it when I can't remember.  I know that when you age your memory starts to decrease.  The problems I have may be part that, and/or it may also be due to my MS, which is a good possibility.

My concern was raised by my neurologist when he was showing me the last MRI that was done on my brain checking for any progression and stated that my scan also presented the same for Alzheimer's.  My doctor said I was progressing and this was why I was put on Tysabri, but he also told me that when I would tell people I had memory problems and they blew it off as "we all forget sometime", this was an actual problem for me.  I am not making this up.

This problem has been one I get depressed about.  I have trouble remembering how to spell words (thank goodness for spell check) but even that sometimes doesn't work when you are not even close to having the right letters.  I know some do have that problem with spelling, even without a memory problem, but for someone who could spell words without thinking about it, especially being a secretary for so many years, this also has been hard.

I am going to have a lumbar puncture in May (the earliest I could do the test) to see if I have the beginning of Alzheimer's.  Now before everyone gets upset, this can be a long time before anything major happens, IF indeed I do have it.  The memory problem can just be related to MS.  I just need to know!

If indeed I do have Alzheimer's, this will give me a chance to try and do everything I can to head it off as much as possible and to plan for it.  IF it is not, I will still remain on the Aricept for my memory.  I will still work on dealing with the memory problem.

My decision to check for this has been two fold.  For my information and for my children.  If I have it, my children might have a chance to have this as well.  The information might be needed later in their lives as they age.  My hope is that this is not an issue.

No comments: