Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I have a new "toy"

We went out yesterday to take a look at a SEGWAY. I have been having trouble walking any distance and instead of using a wheelchair, we wanted to find something else. The SEGWAY has been used by a couple of people here who have MS and they say it is the greatest thing to have. In fact, they have been trying to get it to be recognized as another device to be used for the disabled. Well, Dad was having one of those "work" days (he played golf) and was home early so we went to see them and to take a ride.

Now this adventure was for me and to see if I could handle it. I was a little nervous but Jim (the owner of the store) put me at ease. He was very helpful and watched out for everything. I also wasn't doing any dare devil stuff either. I have to say I was very impressed. It is so easy to maneuver. I have to still get use to getting on and off but it is coming along. I will be using it for the MS Walk next week. I was hoping to actually walk the route but we had gone for a short walk this past weekend and my legs just gave out on me. When my legs start going, my right foot will start catching the pavement. I can't seem to pick the foot up. When I really focus on doing that, picking my foot up, then I am putting the foot down almost like a slap. This also causes me to walk slower and slower. It isn't caused so much by heat as fatigue. You might be thinking, "well walk more and you will get stronger". It doesn't work that way. This is a different fatigue than just being tired. I can rest my legs for about an hour and then I can walk again with very little problem. There might be still a little but not as much as there was when I had to stop. Soooooo we bought a new SEGWAY yesterday and have already brought it home.




We are keeping it in our second bedroom. This bedroom right now has become our "catch all" for things. We have many ideas but haven't followed through on anything yet for this room. Back to the SEGWAY - we have ramps for the SUV so we can put it into the back of the truck. If we wanted to put an attachment to the back of the truck we can and then put the SEGWAY on that way. Right now, it fits just fine in the back. It is Sage in color. It moves by your movement. It is different than the older ones. It has two speeds - turtle and regular. I am in turtle right now to learn it. Even in turtle it goes 6 mph. Regular goes 12.5 mph. The slower speed is fast enough.

The other exciting thing we had happened. Dad won a 19" LCD HDTV at one of his golf outings. We have it now in our bedroom and will be getting rid of our other TV. We wanted to do this anyway and get a LCD Flat Screen and this just happened to fall in our laps. It is small but we don't watch TV a lot in the bedroom so it is just fine.



So that is our exciting news. I wish everyone was around to see the SEGWAY but I will post pictures. Now I just have to figure everything out...

No comments: