Friday, July 27, 2007

Another Trip and Other things

It is Dad's turn to take a trip. He is helping out his boss, along with several others, to build a deck onto the back of his house. The house is located in Yosemite. This required a drive of over 6 hours to reach. Dad has not done physical labor in a very long time. He will work around the house doing small projects but nothing like he did today. I am not sure how big of a deck he is working on but between the men, they were able to get the flooring finished and a start of the railing. He is one tired "puppy".

He has been working in the heat (about 100 degrees) which can take everything out of you. The guys will be having a barbeque tonight of quail and ribs. Dad was really just wanting a shower and air conditioning.

I have finished my physical therapy. I am doing pretty well with walking, going up and down stairs, balance, and just generally getting around. I have been doing therapy this time for about 2-2 1/2 months and it has paid off. I was given excersises to do at home to help maintain what I have accomplished.

I have been having a lot of swelling in my feet and legs and I went to the doctor about it. He said my blood pressure was up a little but he was not concerned about things. He is running quite a few blood tests (checking my heart, thyroid, kidneys) and I should hear on the results Tuesday, next week. For now, he has given me a diurectic to remove excess fluid and salt from the body and for hypertension. It is a low dose but it should help. He also suggested pressure socks but they would be very hot to wear. I have trouble with my bladder and having to go to the bathroom often, so the diurectic may increase the frequency. I guess I will need to decide what I can live with -- swelling or going to the bathroom. Its not fun getting old!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am sure that Dad enjoyed working on the deck. I hope that he was careful about the heat and drank a bunch of water. Miss you all - hope to see you soon..

Jon